Monday, August 23, 2010

as time and budget allow...

Here are some "idea files" of ways I hope to beautify our home in the coming weeks and months.

1) This:

pottery barn

+ this:

(martha stewart)

...only with individual candle plate mirrors from hobby lobby (grouped together), and a grapevine wreath, so I can switch out decorations with the seasons.

2) Love this (from Home & Harmony), but will probably wait until the new year or we buy a home to start it. A lovely idea to document those who fellowship around our table over the years, and encourage us towards hospitality!

3) I'm working on these. We had vertical blinds in our apartment (eeew!), and who wants their home to feel like they are on the thirteenth floor of a downtown office building? Not. Us. Our previous livingroom curtains weren't wide enough for the ginormous window in our livingroom...and I was having trouble finding discount fabric that we liked and would block out the sun (a big priority for the Mister). Solution? Canvas dropcloths! At Lowes we found a 9' x 15' cloth for under 24 buckaroos -- which rounds out to less than $2.70/yd for thick cotton duck! Another benefit of these is that all 4 edges are hemmed, so as long as you have drapery clips, you are good to go! They are currently haphazardly slapped up, so as to block out the rays, and our whole house smells like...like we should be painting. We're not, but I need to wash and iron these babies. Drop cloths are my new best friends! Which brings me to:

4) Slip-covers! Check out this, and this and this! I have two (free-to-me) chairs that I've been covering up with throws for too long. They are in desperate need of some drop cloth love. However... I still haven't really figured out when to sew these days. When the little guy is napping, I am busy doing important things like dishes, tooth brushing and napping. :) So these may take a bit longer!

What home decorating projects are you looking forward to in the near future?

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm looking forward to finishing the basement and putting all our upstairs furniture down there. Then I can do our living room in something less...manly :-) Looks likeI'm going to need your help. I am PAINFULLY non-visual!

Sarah Marie said...

E-bart, I think you have lovely 'vision!' I always admire your livingroom table display by the stairs!

I could use some of your organizing/simplifying expertise (or maybe ALL of it. NOT. MY. STRENGTH. :)